Masicorp works for a community of close to 40,000 people living in the township of Masiphumelele, near Cape Town in South Africa. The community has been severely disadvantaged by the harsh historical legacy of apartheid and the slow pace of reform since apartheid ended in 1994.
Since Masicorp was founded in 1999, we have worked with both children and adults in Masiphumelele to provide expanded educational opportunities and skills development initiatives. Our approach has always been to first ask the community where and how they need support — never to arrive with pre-conceived assumptions. From this approach, we know residents want a hand up not a handout and all agree that education is the route out of poverty.
Our vision is to ensure that all residents have access to quality education, training, advice, and support. To do this, we work closely with the people of Masiphumelele and with key partners, including community leaders and other non-profits. Together we have built a constructive framework that helps residents progress out of poverty towards a sustainable livelihood through many programmes ranging from early childhood development (ECD) through to primary school and high school, as well as life and professional skills training for young people and adults.
Masicorp has no religious or political affiliations and is a tax-exempt NGO / charity registered and established in South Africa, the USA and the UK. Our headquarters are on the Chasmay Road Campus near Masiphumelele.
- Everyone in Masiphumelele will have access to quality education, training, advice and support
- To work with the people of Masiphumelele, and key partners, offering opportunities, through education to help residents progress out of poverty towards a sustainable livelihood
- Utmost respect for those we serve and for each other
- Participation in decision making by all those affected by our actions
- Empowering all involved to take ownership of their own development
- Integrity and transparency in all our operations
- Long-term sustainability