An Inside Guide into Chasmay Road Campus
Masicorp is an industry leading non-profit organisation, specialising in quality education and skills development for both children and adults living in Masiphumelele. The Chasmay Road Campus where Masicorp’s Head Office is situated is teeming with life and one needs to visit the grounds in person to fully appreciate the work that is happening here. With approximately three hundred daily visitors who access the education, training, and social support projects and programmes available on the campus, it is a vibrant and important facility for the local community of Masiphumelele and Ocean View.
The Chasmay Road Campus, located immediately adjacent to Masiphumelele, is owned by City of Cape Town (CoCT). Masicorp has informally managed the campus since 2014, and formally since 2018. Under Masicorp’s management, the Campus has been maintained as an attractive, secure location for community-based non-profit organisations to operate and has fulfilled the objectives set out by the City of Cape Town in the head lease. Masicorp is pleased to report that the campus is currently 95% let with 17 non-profit business tenants.
A Central Hub of Help
The Campus is a central hub of help. The non-profit organisations operating here have formed a charity village empowering people in the local community through creative programmes that upskill and educate.
Have a look at the various non-profit businesses on campus to get deeper insight into all our efforts.
Masicorp is a non-profit organisation that was founded in 1999 and works with the people of Masiphumelele primarily through education and skills development initiatives. Our vision is that everyone in Masiphumelele should have access to quality education, training, advice and support.
This vision is being achieved by working with the people of Masiphumelele and key partners, offering opportunities through education to help residents progress out of poverty towards a sustainable livelihood. Masicorp has a total of 24 programmes ranging from early childhood development (ECD) through to primary school, high school, school sports development, life skills and adult skills and development.
The school came under Masicorp management in 2017 and at that time, it only accommodated 50 children. In 2019, renovations and upgrades to the buildings and playground were undertaken and as a result Chasmay Educare currently has 5 well-equipped classrooms consisting of:
- 2 x grade R classes
- 2 x pre-grade R classes
- 1 x large 3-4yrs old class
The children are cared for from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, where they receive breakfast, a fruit snack, a cooked lunch and have a rest time. The new addition of a vegetable garden means we are able to provide fresh vegetables to many of our beneficiaries all year round
Masicorp Stay and Play
Most of the informal crèche operators in Masiphumelele do not have formal experience or training in early childhood development. Their crèches are not equipped with suitable toys and structured learning that young children need to learn and grow optimally. Masicorp Stay and Play was developed out of this need and aims to encourage the caregivers/ crèche owners to see how important the early years of a child’s life are.
Masicorp Stay and Play is offered to caregivers from informal creches and children under 5 years old. The goal is to encourage caregivers to both socialize with each other as a form of peer support as well as provide a transfer of skills, learning how to play with and teach the children in their care. These sessions take place on the grounds of Chasmay Educare.
Masicorp Computer Training Centre.
Our computer training programme has historically been operating from the Masi Library, but due to the high demand for their support and programmes, a second Training Centre was opened at the Chasmay Road Campus in March 2020. This centre provides accredited International Computer Driving Licence (ICDL) training and qualifications for Masi High School students as well as young adults free of charge.
The Chasmay Road Campus Computer Literacy Hub is now exclusively used for ICDL training which ensures less disruptions and allows each registered student more training hours per week as students are encouraged to come outside of class time to practice their skills on the computers. Additionally, due to the increased space at the Chasmay Road Campus the programme can cater for more students per class as it can accommodate more computers.
Here is a list of other organisations operating on the Campus.
- MCC Masi 750 Sports Club– Sports upliftment programme for the children at Ukhanyo Primary & Masi High School.
- Surfpop - Surf and education programmes for children to keep them off the street.
- Ubuntu football academy – Free football and education academy.
- Masi Violin Outreach – Where local school children can learn how to play the violin.
- Rainbow Dreams Trust – Currently has two programmes operating out of the Chasmay Road Campus, a youth club and a choir club.
- The Sakhisiwe Community Training College – A night school for people who wish to complete their high school education.
- The Sewing Café – Skills training that affords businesses the opportunity to invest in the community.
- Songezo Cycling Academy – Offers the youth from Masiphumelele an opportunity to participate in cycling.
- AWOL – Bicycle tours that provide insight into township life through their cycling tours in the community of Masiphumelele.
- Evangeline Ministries – Life Skills program for disadvantaged women from the township of Masiphumelele.
- Ikamva Labantu – 17 community-based seniors clubs which operate daily and provide care and support services to nearly 600 older persons.
- Isithembiso – Free workshops to youth from Masiphumelele that have previously been involved in the Isithembiso project.
- Masi Creative Hub – Recreational space for community projects and activities.
Join a Winning Team with a Proven Formula
Masicorp has become a trail blazer by pioneering a path towards quality education for disadvantaged communities like Masiphumelele. A donation to any one of our programmes is an investment into the future of the community of Masi. For the latest education news and to see how we are making a difference for the people in Masiphumelele follow us on Facebook.
If you are in quest of something more authentic, we welcome visitors and volunteers to spend a day in our programmes. Join our Voluntourism programme to experience the heartbeat of Masiphumelele.